Trina Solar, a global leader in photovoltaic ("PV") modules, solutions, and services, today announced its unaudited financial results for the fourth quarter and full year of 2014.
Fourth Quarter 2014 Financial and Operating Highlights
- Total module shipments were 1,098.8 MW, consisting of 1,070.5 MW of external shipments and 28.3 MW of shipments to the Company's own downstream power projects. This compares with total shipments of 1,063.8 MW, consisting of 936.8 MW of external shipments and 127 MW of shipments to the Company's own downstream power projects, in the third quarter of 2014
- Net revenues were $705.0 million, an increase of 14.3% from the third quarter of 2014
- Gross profit was $111.0 million, an increase of 8.0% from the third quarter of 2014
- Gross margin was 15.7%, compared with 16.7% in the third quarter of 2014
- Operating income was $30.5 million, a decrease of 14.4% from the third quarter of 2014
- Net income was $13.9 million, an increase of 31.5% from the third quarter of 2014
- Net income excluding the net foreign exchange loss was $21.5 million. Net foreign currency exchange loss was $7.6 million, which included a gain on change in fair value of foreign exchange derivative instruments of $1.7 million
- Earnings per fully diluted American Depositary Share ("ADS" and each ADS represents 50 of the Company's ordinary shares) were $0.13, compared with $0.14 in the third quarter of 2014. Excluding net foreign exchange loss, earnings per ADS was $0.21
Full Year 2014 Financial and Operating Highlights
- Total solar module shipments were approximately 3.66 GW, an increase of 41.9% from 2.58 GW in 2013
- Total net revenues were $2.29 billion, an increase of 28.8% from 2013
- Gross profit was $385.6 million, an increase of 76.7% from 2013
- Gross margin was 16.9%, compared with 12.3% in 2013
- Operating income was $120.1 million, compared with an operating loss of $38.1 million in 2013.
- Net income for the full year was $61.3 million, compared with a net loss of $72.2 million for 2013
- Earnings per fully diluted ADS for 2014 were $0.74, compared with a loss per fully diluted ADS of $1.01 in 2013
"We are pleased with our solid performance in the fourth quarter. We saw record shipment volumes, maintained our leading position as one of the largest solar companies in the world, and continued to increase our earnings quarter to quarter," said Mr. Jifan Gao, Chairman and CEO of Trina Solar.
"We also made significant progress in our downstream business. We connected two utility scale solar power plants totaling 210 MW in Xinjiang and Jiangsu provinces, and both are generating electricity. Our project pipeline in China is expanding and we are growing our downstream business at a steady pace. Overseas, we closed the sale of a 13.2 MW project in the UK in December 2014. The cash generated by the sale of the project will provide additional capital for the expansion of our downstream businesses. We expect our growing portfolio of overseas projects in the UK and Japan that we expect to sell upon completion to further contribute to our downstream business expansion in 2015.
"In the second half of 2014, we strengthened our focuses on developing distributed generation ("DG") projects in China. We have completed a number of projects and we will leverage our experience in developing utility scale projects and our module sales channels to further tap into the DG market and bolster our current downstream pipeline in China in 2015.
"In addition, we continued to deliver impressive new product innovations in solar cell technology. Our deep commitment to R&D and to delivering high quality products ensures our leading position in the very competitive and highly regulated PV industry. Our proven track record for superior quality, innovation, and efficient execution in the manufacturing sector positions us well as we build our company into a major developer and operator of solar projects.
"Overall, 2014 was a successful year for Trina Solar. Both our manufacturing and downstream businesses delivered strong results, and we emerged as the world's largest supplier of solar modules. We took advantage of the rapidly growing demand in China, the world's largest market for solar products, as well as the expansion of sales across various Asia-Pacific and Americas markets. We were also able to mitigate the industry trend of declining average sales prices ("ASPs") without compromising product quality by re-engineering our manufacturing processes and supply chain to drive down costs and by growing our portfolio of downstream projects to increase profitability.
"In 2015, we believe that our focus on technological innovation and delivering the highest quality and diversified module portfolio will drive growth in an expanding market. We will continue to build world-class capabilities and align our global resources to reinforce our leading position in the module business while exploring the utility, DG and other downstream markets."
About Trina Solar Limited
Trina Solar Limited (NYSE:TSL) is a global leader in photovoltaic modules, solutions and services. Founded in 1997 as a PV system integrator, Trina Solar today drives smart energy together with installers, distributors, utilities and developers worldwide. The company's industry-shaping position is based on innovation excellence, superior product quality, vertically integrated capabilities and environmental stewardship. For more information, please visit www.trinasolar.com.
Safe Harbor Statement
This announcement contains forward-looking statements within the meaning of the safe harbor provisions of the Private Securities Litigation Reform Act of 1995. All statements other than statements of historical fact in this announcement are forward-looking statements, including but not limited to, the Company's ability to raise additional capital to finance its activities; the effectiveness, profitability and marketability of its products; the future trading of the securities of the Company; the Company's ability to operate as a public company; the period of time for which the Company's current liquidity will enable the Company to fund its operations; general economic and business conditions; demand in various markets for solar products; the volatility of the Company's operating results and financial condition; the Company's ability to attract or retain qualified senior management personnel and research and development staff; and other risks detailed in the Company's filings with the Securities and Exchange Commission. These forward-looking statements involve known and unknown risks and uncertainties and are based on current expectations, assumptions, estimates and projections about the Company and the industry in which the Company operates. The Company undertakes no obligation to update forward-looking statements to reflect subsequent occurring events or circumstances, or changes in its expectations, except as may be required by law. Although the Company believes that the expectations expressed in these forward looking statements are reasonable, it cannot assure you that such expectations will turn out to be correct, and the Company cautions investors that actual results may differ materially from the anticipated results.
For further information, please contact:
Trina Solar Europe & Africa
T: 34 911 335 935